Friday, October 8, 2010

Arches National Park

Our first fun tourist stop on the loooonnngg drive to Oklahoma was Arches National Park!
I have always wanted to go there and since we were driving "right by it" we decided to make it one of our stops.

Even with my poor picture taking skills some of the pictures turned out great as the colors of the rock against the blue sky made a beautiful shot.

Lukas with his cousin, Alexandra and Aunt Kellie
getting ready to hike to some arches.


Lukas was our enthusiastic hiker and with how much he was running and jumping along the way I'm sure he logged more miles than the rest of us.

North and South Window Arches



Thankfully Lukey lets me put a hat on him as he has inherited Mama's skin. Not burning easily, but freckling easily. He already has a tiny little patch growing on his nose and cheeks while Nikolas, who is twice as old, has not a single freckle to be found. Nik definitely has his daddy's skin.



Turret Arch

The only way I could get a picture with Nikolas was to hold him as he was Mr. Grumpy Pants the whole entire hike. We thought the boys would be ecstatic to get out of the car and run, but apparently this place didn't meet Nik's specifications for fun. He grudgingly hiked the whole thing while repeating, "This is boring, I don't want to be here. This is boring."
Children are simply unpredictable.




Lukas had enough enthusiasm for all of us!


It was beautiful, to say the least. One of these years I'm going to drag my family all over Utah to see all the beautiful national parks they have. We will, of course, be taking climbing gear on that trip:)

6 comments:

Sheri said...

Wow, that's gorgeous. I want to go. I'll go along as your nanny. I can't believe Lukas "I can't walk half a block at the beach" ran all over and was so enthusiastic. And how does Nik know about being bored? Are kids just born knowing because it allows Mom to suggest all kinds of ideas?

Unknown said...

Awesome road trip. When you are in need of a laugh, ask your cousin Susan to recount her trip to Arches, then sit down for 30 minutes.

rebecca said...

Sheri,
yes, I thought the same about LUkas, I had the Ergo ready to carry him but he was off and running. Wish I could remember what I fed him right before that...

Steve,
now I'm totally curious! I will definitely be asking Susan, thanks:)

Rida said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
klyn said...

Nik's comment about being bored (several times) was funny. Yet, he liked the other tourist stops we did! Great pic!

Emily said...

Ed & I did Arches before kids. Would love to go back again! Nik is so funny. I didn't realize kids turned into teenagers at such a young age! Yikes.... :)