Sunday, December 5, 2010

Introducing:


our baby girl:
Estella Erlene


An old fashioned name, for sure, but with significant meaning. Unknown to many, Estella Erlene was my mothers full name, though she went by her middle name, Erlene. My middle name is Erlene as well, a fact I was always embarrassed about growing up, but am quite proud to bear now. Estella was also my Great Great Grandmothers name (or was it just one Great?) and so there is alot of family history behind this name.

Our Little Girls Namesake:
My sweet mother who I miss terribly, especially now that I am having a little girl.
This picture was taken the last Christmas we all spent together in 2004.
She would have turned 70 last Friday, the 3rd of December.

Tone' and I have different nicknames for our little Estella. Tone' plans on calling her "Stella" which is actually quite popular nowadays, it's in the top 150. Apparently there is some movie I have never seen where the character yells, "STELLA!!!!!". So Tone' is down with that name.
I have a different name in mind and it happens to be after my friend, Estie. The same Estie who is just one week ahead of me in pregnancy. How coincidental!
All these names, Estella, Estie and Stella derive from the name of Esther, which means "star".

We don't know yet what Lukas plans on calling his little sister, but Nikolas has an entirely different name picked out. He is adamant on calling her, "Celeste".

Yes, that's right, Celeste. After Babar the elephants wife! The quite hilarious thing is that Celeste means, "heavenly", which is right in line with the "star" meaning of Estella.

Needless to say this little girl is going to be a little confused as to what her actual name is. She'll figure it out soon enough though as I will be telling her all about the wonderful grandmother she is named after, who was also named after her grandmother. And that is how it should be, generation after generation passing on the family history and keeping memories alive.

7 comments:

Mara said...

Congratulations, guys! I love the name. Can't wait to meet the little Estella.

Sheri said...

Hmmm. I'll have to think up my own little nickname for her. And just so you know, I'm fine with you naming your 4th after me...Katinka. I know you really wanted to, but totally understand the family thing! Hee hee! Now you may not be so eager for me to always comment on your posts!

I can't wait to hold her. There hasn't been a newborn around for awhile, and Sassy does not count.

rebecca said...

Hi Mara, glad you found me:)

Sheri, I think Tone's moms name is in line for the next girl, but maybe we'll have three girls;)

klyn said...

And we all know my name was pulled out of thin air with no family ties (or for that matter, female ties) at all. Not bitter, just saying...

I'm thinking Miss E, but most likely, I will call her Estie.

The first two/ three letters of her names make Est...Er. Almost Esther - that is pretty cool!

rebecca said...

Hey, that is cool! I hadn't noticed.

Emily said...

Love the name. She will grow up in the legacy of a wonderful woman.

Clubprouser said...

Love the name and the nicknames! She's going to be one spoiled and adorable child. Can't wait to meet her!!!