Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Four Fast Years

Nikolas turned four years old on Saturday!

We had family over to celebrate and naturally we had a train party, for the second year in a row. This particular train party had a little twist to it, however. Sometime last year Nikolas became a fan of a little train called, "Lady". Lady is a girl train....and pink. Didn't matter to this tree climbing, bike riding, tough little boy. Oh no, for the last few months I have been reminded over and over again that he wanted a "Lady party". Not a Thomas party, or a James party or even a Percy party. A Lady party.
Well, I wasn't about to decorate the place in pink, I don't even have a speck of pink in my house. (Except for my Nalgene & Camelback bottles and that is only a ploy so Tone' doesn't steal them:) ((It doesn't work, by the way)) So I decorated in red and blue except for a pink Lady window painting I did on the sliding glass door. I had decorated and baked the cake the day before but I hadn't frosted the cake yet. Normally, if you have followed my blog for the last couple years, you may have noticed I like to create 3D cakes. This year, I wanted to make my friend, Emily's, delicious chocolate cake recipe, which was too moist to create into 3D. So I just made a 9X13 cake and had planned on frosting it in the morning. Nikolas came out in the morning, looked for his cake, didn't see it, came to find me with his little shoulders sagging and his head down and said, "I guess I'm not having a Lady party after all:(" It was so sad! So I got busy frosting and ended up with this:

It was delicious!!! I'll never use boxed cake mix again! (Well, except for cake mix cookies, that is entirely different:)

He had to have the face part of the cake. Right out of the middle.

It was such a perfect day on his birthday that we were able to go outside to play with all his new toys, like the golf clubs! Watch out!

Then he showed us how high he can climb in our neighbors tree.
I think this boy had a wonderful fourth birthday. I can't even believe how fast the last four years have gone. I don't even want to think about another four going that fast as that would make him EIGHT! Oh my. Nope, don't want to think about it.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Jason takes my pink water bottles too!!! What's up with that?! Your train cake is amazing, and I love the birthday plate. ;) I don't think I ever saw it after it was fired- it turned out great! Happy birthday to Nik! Can't believe he's already four.

klyn said...

Great to hear how it went!!
Wish it would have worked out for us to have been there!
Nik and Lady - he is so funny!
Four is a very fun age!