Friday, May 20, 2011

Weekend At The Cabin

Tone' and I have just made a pact this year that we are going to start taking advantage of the generosity of my dad. He has had a cabin in the woods on a lake up in White Salmon, Washington for the last eight? or more years now and we haven't really used it much. Now that we have two boys who love to throw sticks and rocks in the water we realized that the cabin is the perfect place for a mini vacation. We have committed to going once a month now and so far we're two for two and planning our June trip.


Truly, it is such a peaceful retreat from this fast paced world we live in. There is no phone, which means no internet. I know! Can you imagine?! Our cell phones don't even work there. We go up there and have no idea what is going on the world. It's really quite funny.




The moment we arrived the boys started collecting rocks and sticks. Who needs toys?!


The best part, of course, is throwing them in the lake to hear "bloop, bloop".


Next up Nikolas took the little red dingy out for a row. We were a little worried about him tipping and falling in, but decided the experience would be memorable, even if it ended in a soggy mess. You could say that's my parenting style: as long as they won't be seriously maimed or worse, then let them explore and get dirty...or wet.

While Nik was rowing in circles Lukas was pouting on the dock. Poor kid, it's tough to be three.

He's not quite big enough to be out by himself on a little boat, yet is old enough to know he's missing out on an adventure.



Just before dinner time our friends, Ed, Emily and their two kids Elly and Evan arrived. They are outdoor enthusiasts as well, so we knew they would enjoy the cabin with us. Elly jumped right into the action and started helping Lukas row the dock. They just may have thought they were going somewhere. You never know with three year olds.




Lukas is only 6 months older than Elly and they are in the same class for Sunday School, but it took this weekend to realize they are both the "same age". I think it's because a six month old is so much further ahead then a newborn and it continues like that for a few months so I had forgotten how close they are in age. This weekend was a hilarious eye opener. They were so cute together and have the same tiny little voices and thought processes. Plus, Elly is the same height as Lukas, which is unusual for his little buddies.



A bonus feature to Ed and Emily coming was that they brought Emily's parents new kayaks!

Combined with Tone's kayak we have at the cabin it made for some fun outings on the lake together.



The guys were generous enough to let us ladies take the first trip out. AAAhhhhh, it was so quiet and peaceful......


Elly having some little Estie time



Lukas had to get in on the cuddling as well



The next morning Ed and Emily took the kayaks out. It was a beautiful, quiet morning and from the smiles on their faces I think they had fun:)








Then Tone', Ed and I took the big kids in our kayaks while Emily stayed with the sleeping babies. It was really fun to be able to go out as an almost complete family as we've never done that having only one kayak. It almost makes me want Tone' to build another one, except that I would not see him for 8 months while he's holed up in the garage.


Last on our list of weekend fun was a hike to the point overlooking the dam.

Three out of five looking isn't too bad!

4 comments:

klyn said...

I am a little jealous that you are going to take over my role of going to the cabin the most out of the siblings. I do plan on at least two weeks there this summer, so maybe I'll still be "ahead" of you in nights stayed!
Beautiful pictures and such a fun time with three kayaks! Really, 8 months without Tone' available OR a kayak. I, of course, am rooting for the kayak, but I do understand that the 8 months would be rather long..... I'll give you my daughter in exchange!!! :)

rebecca said...

I'll take her!
And sorry, but we have been staying three to four days each time so....maybe we'll be even. It is a little funny to suddenly be so enthused about it after all these years of not being. Kids do change a person, don't they?!

klyn said...

But, would I then get to keep the kayak?

I do not even know who I was before I had kids, so I have no idea if they changed me, but I do think it is more that the priorities change.

You still do a lot of what you did before, just now you cook and don't spend as much money! That is a definite positive! Yay!

um, can you change the time on my post like you do on your posts so it doesn't look like I am up so late.... :)

Jennifer Rose Cox said...

This made me think of you and your family out kayaking
http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/sports/water-sports/transparent-kayak/
Spendy, but its fun to dream right?