Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Created To Work

Tone' and I are determined to raise hard-working children.

Children who don't mind getting dirty and sweaty and putting forth effort into life. We want to see them serving others, and doing so gladly. This won't come if we don't encourage it, so whenever I see a chance for my boys to work, I jump!

The other day my brother, John, and my dad were out felling trees and cutting them up for firewood. So the kids and I headed over and when they were ready to load the wood into the trailer Karen, Abby, Nikolas and Lukas went out to help. (I had Baby so was rendered useless at the time) It was so great to see my boys joining everyone in hauling wood. They didn't complain and they took their jobs seriously. Nikolas is quite the strong man already and carried some hefty for him logs. Lukas is my natural hard worker, but he mostly carried twigs:) I think he doesn't realize he is a strong little guy, but he is perfectly happy letting Nik be the tough one.




Disclaimer: Nik picked out this outfit
Cowboy hat, explorer vest with no shirt, camo pants
Apparently this is his "hauling logs" outfit.


Some of my favorite memories of growing up on the farm were from work. I enjoyed it and, often, went looking for it. I loved picking berries and fruit from the orchards, mowing the grass, taking care of the chickens, pruning the trees, chopping down blackberries and whatever other job my dad may have had for me. I may have been a little weird, but no one has ever called me lazy. Likewise, I want my boys to want to work. I have found, however, that it's hard to foster hard workers while living in a neighborhood. At least for me. Instead of seeing things that need to be done, like on a farm, I have to create work to be done. I'm not really good at creating...I'm better at maintaining. So while I try to stretch myself by creating projects at home, I am perfectly happy to take my boys to someone elses projects.

Nikolas is so little here, but he is already doing good things by helping his grandpa and uncle. I also love that he was working along side his cousin, Abby, and Aunt Karen.





There is a book I have been meaning to read on this very subject. It is called, "Created For Work" by Bob Schulz. I know I'll like it because the summary is the very thoughts I have regarding boys, and girls!, working.

"Modern culture seems to be addicted to ease and entertainment. It has produced a generation of dishonest, unproductive, and weak-willed men. In Created For Work, Bob Schulz inspires boys to act differently - to get there hands dirty, follow directions, think creatively, and respect authority. It inspires young men, and offers the tools and encouragement they need to embrace God's ways and always give an honest day's work."

Interestingly, I recently took my nieces to a conference called, The Rebelution. It is put on by twin brothers whose message is to "Do hard things" and not succumb to society's low expectations on teens, (and really children of all ages). It was inspiring for all of us and I am more determined to help my kids learn to be hard workers and to love serving others.

Check back in ten years to see how I've done! Eek!







1 comment:

Sheri said...

That Nik is such a hard worker. I just see Lukey in the background and he doesn't even have twig in his hands. But looking very cute.

I love when kids choose their outfits.

There's always work at Aunt Sheri's farm.