Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Final Farewell to the Lake

The last weekend of July I headed up to the cabin for the last time with water in the lake. The power company was supposed to be draining the lake starting the first of August in preperation of the dam being blown up in October.
That being the case, and with the weather being spectacular, Kellie, who had been there all week, invited various friends to come out so we all had a great time playing on the water. In fact, I would say that weekend was the most activity that cabin and dock has ever seen!



We had every water craft imaginable out on the water. Kayak, raft, two paddle boards, air mattress, little red dinghy and the rowboat were all out there. We made some memories that I won't forget anytime soon. First off, Kellie rowed Alex, Nik, Luke, Morgan, two other small children and myself out to the rope swing where Kellie and I both jumped in. Brrrrr!!!! I came up screaming, though, I won't say whether it was from the cold or...................................................



the monsters in the deep.



One never knows what lurks below the surface of the waters.



Nik is definitely my water boy, and what is up with his biceps?! He's going to be stronger than me by the time he's eight!



I need to start rock climbing again.



Kellie took Nik out on the paddle board. He loved it and got his sea legs pretty quickly. I'd say he's ready to go surfing!





Then there was the other memory made I won't forget any time soon.
Due to some high winds suddenly flipping an empty raft, the oar ended up sinking to the bottom of the lake. Now, the lake isn't that deep in most parts, and thankfully the oar sunk in about seven feet of water. So one would think that diving down to it would be no big deal. Right?



Maybe for normal people, but my sister and I are slightly irrational when it comes to unknown waters, as you may have figured out by now. So neither one of us wanted to be the one to have to go after that oar. Well, having bad eyesight finally came in handy for Kellie as she had her contacts in and so would have had to dive in with her eyes shut. Which would have made it rather difficult to locate said oar. That being the case, my fate was sealed, and it was up to me. So i dove in, snatched that oar and was up and next to the board trying to get on before Kellie even knew what had happened to me. I'm highly motivated when there is a remote chance of being eaten by who knows what.





Luke and my last trip out on the lake in the kayak :( So sad!!!







Then we were all entertained by these lovely ladies. Alex and Morgan decided it would be fun to get into the little red dinghy and try to sink it.







They did.



They were having so much fun testing the limits of the little red dinghy that they didn't even notice the freezing cold glacior water they were in. We all had fun watching them as well:)









Yep, that's me in the little red dinghy as well. It's fun being a kid every once in a while.





The boys also practiced their slingshot shooting abilities.
They were getting pretty good at.
Nikolas fully thinks he could kill a giant like David did.





Lukas, on the other hand, would just irritate the snot out of him.







Alexandra and one of her many talents:)







Lukas has suddenly become a little tree climber. Hmmm, this bodes well for his climbing mama....



Tire swing!

We're sure going to miss that lake.
Sad.


1 comment:

klyn said...

Sniff, sniff. That was a great time! Well, except for the attack of the hornets. It is going to be a great place still - just different.