Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy Birthday Little Luke!

Lukas turned ONE this month!
It seems like it has been forever that he has been in our lives as I can't imagine life without him now, and yet it also doesn't seem possible that he is already one year old. He is still very much my little baby though, especially since he has yet to say a word and is not quite walking yet. His pediatrician assured me he is well within normal for a one year old as I was expressing the differences between Luke and when Nik was one. Apparently Nikolas was an overachiever, whereas Lukas, well, not so much..... I guess they are actually following the old "first born, youngest child" syndromes.

We had a small family party and had fun watching Lukas dig into his cupcake. He really liked the frosting! ( so did mama, I think I ate around 6 of them in two days!)

I made Lion and Monkey cupcakes for the Jungle themed party and they turned out ever so cute. They were pretty tasty as well:)I saw the ideas on a few different blogs and decided to try it out. I have always wanted to make cupcakes with the frosting squishes, (I have no idea what else to call them), ever since my mom made me a cookie monster cake with the squishes all over the whole thing. Truly, that is what makes a cake go from ho hum, to Oh Yum!

Parties for one year olds are humorous. A bunch of adults all stand around a baby who has no idea what is going on, then a candle is lit and placed in front of baby who up until this moment has been kept 5 feet away from all things fire. Then everyone starts singing "Happy Birthday" to baby who at this point usually begins to cry and then everyone stands there waiting for baby to start devouring a too large piece of cake, a food which, up until this point, had not been deemed healthy enough for such a little baby until he hit the magical age of one and suddenly it is cute to stuff baby with large amounts of sugar and ice cream.

Even more humorous are two year old parties, where suddenly, one year later, it is NOT cute to smear frosting and cake all over your body. How very strange we parents are.....

4 comments:

klyn said...

And you didn't mention the only reason Nik wanted to be in the family picture was so he could blow out the candle...see, there he is puckering up for the birthday cake blow-out steal.

Melinda said...

How cute! Yeah Luke! I was laughing at your post. How true! Logan did his small share of cake smearing but nothing too dramatic. You will see if I ever get around to posting the pictures. I like the other comment (is that Kelly?) about Nik wanting to blow out the candle. My favorite picture from Wyatt's first birthday is Noelle standing next too his highchair looking longingly at the cupcake and candle.

Jodi said...

Happy birthday Lukey!

Rebecca, those cupcakes are so cute!

Clubprouser said...

Happy Birthday little Luke! Don't worry Becca....Lexi didn't start walking until 14 months and I was certain there was something wrong with her. Consider his late blooming a blessing. :-)