Sunday, May 18, 2008

Introducing...

The new Mr. and Mrs. John and Sue Graham!
On Saturday I witnessed my father get married to a wonderful lady named Sue Powers. The wedding was beautiful and went well in spite of the air conditioning not working with 90 some degree weather. I truly expected one of the guys to pass out on stage as they sweltered in their black suits. The only other glitch that I saw was the ringbearer didn't quite do his job. And who might that ringbearer have been, you ask? None other than my little Nikolas, of course. I knew it might be a little difficult for him to have to wait in the back of the church while mommy and daddy and all his cousins left him to go up the aisle, so I expected the worst. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but almost. First off, he had been carrying around a green turtle bag, (thanks Kate) and would NOT LET GO and so they managed to stuff the pillow inside the turtle bag. Luckily, mama has a few tricks up her sleeves and "traded" him the bag for my chapstick:) I know, I'm good. Then he didn't want me to leave him, so I told him he could walk with me and he was fine with that....until we had to wait our turn. He's not so good with waiting. So then i finally calmed him down and we started up the aisle, but then the pillow started falling apart and the pins were poking out towards his little hands so I grabbed it before he stuck himself. Well, that didn't go over well and screaming ensued, again. At this point we are about 5 steps into the sanctuary and all eyes, cameras and video cameras are on us. So I somehow had the brilliant idea to trade him my bouquet for his pillow and miraculasly he consented and we started up the aisle happily. Me carrying the ringbearers pillow and the little ringbearer holding a bouquet of roses. I imagine it looked cute, I hope. So we made it to the stage and I was going to have him stand by me, but then he saw daddy on the other side and wanted to go over there. I told him he could, but no, he wanted me to go as well. To sum up, I had to pry myself away from him as my very brave friend, Sheri, peeled him off me and took him out of the sanctuary with EVERYONE watching us.
I suppose you are wondering how I am doing with my dad getting married to someone other than my mom. I suppose this only because I am asked it often, and with good reason as it isn't every day that someone's 69 year old parent gets married. Well, the picture shows half of my emotions on the subject. I am so happy for my father that he has found someone to share the rest of his life with and he could not have found a more wonderful lady than Sue. She has already been such a blessing to me and to my boys and I am looking forward to growing my relationship with her. I also am so grateful that she has stepped into the role of "Amma", as Nik calls her, so lovingly and I know that my children will love her and will only know her as their Grandma Graham. I suppose that is where the other half of my emotions come in.
My children will never know my mom. At least not on Earth. I know that if (I pray "when") they realize that Jesus Christ is the only Way to eternal life in Heaven, then they will get to meet my dear mother, but until then, everyday is hard for me as I so want my mother watching them grow up and helping me to mother them. There are so many instances that I want to call my mom and ask "what did you do to get me to sleep through the night?" or "how did you juggle cooking meals with three children under foot when I have a hard time with two?". It is those "little" questions that only my mother has the answer for that really makes my heart ache. But, she is gone, and I can't change that. I can be grateful, though, for the 28 years she was the best mother ever and I can tell my children about their sweet, funny grandma who now lives with Jesus. And in the meantime, I am so thankful that God has sent another "mother" into my life.



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

klyn said...

I really wish I had my camera up there with me so I could have taken a photo of you with the ring bearer's pillow. It was pretty comical!
Great pics! [hint]

Clubprouser said...

Congratulations on your new surrogate mother. I'm glad you like her so much. That's wonderful.