Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Climbing Mama's Dream Come True

For my 32nd birthday this past Friday the 13th all I wanted to do was go rock climbing. So with the help of my sister Kellie, my friend Estie and two of my climbing buddies, Dave and Tymun, my wish came true. Of course, we took Nik and Luke as I wanted Nik to start climbing with me this year and Lukas, well, he needs me for sustenance so...you get the picture. The day started out perfect with blue skies and warm weather. Quite a switch from what we have had lately so I was very grateful. We headed out to a local climbing area and began a most wonderful day at the crags.
I bought Nik his very own harness recently as i am so excited to pass my love for rock climbing on to my children. I envision many mother/son road trips in the future:) I am sure one day one of them will climb better than me and though my ego may be bruised a little, it is always nice to have someone else take the sharp end of the rope. Though, if it is my own son, I probably will be more worried than if it were me. (By the way, the "sharp end of the rope" means that person attaches the end of the rope to their harness and is the first one to climb up the rock and thread the rope through the anchors) for all you non-climbers out there.
Nikolas is being fitted into his harness by Dave and is receiving beta on rock climbing by Tymun. (Once again, "beta" is instruction given about a specific climb, I know, I could have just said, "instruction" but you need to be educated on rock climbing terms if you are going to read my blog:))
Nik took to climbing like he has it in his blood. Which he does, of course:) He showed no signs of fear and was more interested in pushing off the rock and swinging then climbing, but hey, who doesn't love doing that?! Dave climbed alongside him since it was an easy route and Nik didn't go very high. It was great to have Dave and Tymun there as I have been away from the rock too long to feel comfortable leading. I have been climbing with them for the past nine years and have placed my life into their hands over and over again so I trust them completely to keep my little boy safe as well. Plus, Nik really likes Dave and not only did Dave help him climb, carry him around, let Nik poke his fingers into Dave's mouth and fall asleep on his lap at the end of the day, BUT, DAve also held him off the side of a log so Nik could go poop:)
I was even able to climb and as you can see, I couldn't stop smiling all the way up the rock. The last time I climbed was when I was a few weeks pregnant with Lukas. So to feel the rock under my fingertips and to be outside enjoying the sun and scenery while doing the sport I love with great friends was the best birthday present ever!
Stay tuned for another post on this as there were a few more pictures I just have to add:)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Noelle's first words when I opened up your blog page were "I don't want to go there!!!!!" So much for my dreams of an athletic child. But I have since talked her into "pretend rocks" but she doesn't' want them to be "tooo high"

Jodi said...

Nik is so cute is his tiny little harness! I'm so glad you were blessed with such a great day to climb.

melissa said...

Melinda, that's hilarious. Great pics Rebecca :)

ShawnaP said...

As a bike riding mama of a little one who learned without training wheels at 3 1/2, I can just feel your excitment. Way to make your mama pround Nik!