Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Mooooon

Three years ago I was so incredibly busy working and co-leading high school youth group that the only time i ever slowed down was the occasional evening or weekend out rock climbing. Now, being a stay at home mama, my life is so much simpler and I am being reminded of how simple life really should be, often by my two year old.
Today, during the two hours of sun and warmth, we were outside and Nik looked up into the sky and said, "Moooon". I looked up thinking i was going to see a faint outline of the moon, but instead I saw this cloud in the shape of a moon. I thought that was so cool that he picked out a shape from a cloud and wondered when the last time I did that. So i decided that this summer we are going to lay out on a blanket on a warm day and look for shapes in clouds and just take it easy. In fact, I want to slow down all summer and not be always "going places". I especially dislike being in the car on nice days as they are too few here in the NW to waste being stuck in a car. Not to mention that staying home will greatly reduce our monthly gas cost. So instead of running from activity to activity, I am going to try to create our own fun activities in our own backyard. We have the kiddie pool, slide, sidewalk chalk and a garden to keep us entertained, ( i know, weeding may not sound entertaining to many, but I kindof like it:)) Anyone have any fun outdoor activities for a toddler they would like to share?

2 comments:

melissa said...

I FULLY support you in your decision to do nothing- I wish I'd done that more when my kids were your kids age!

Jodi said...

I want to do this too! Laying down looking at clouds with my boy sounds just perfect.

We love to have lunch outside on a picnic blanket. And run through the sprinkler.