Friday, June 27, 2008

I'm a Big Boy!

Nikolas is officially potty trained!
He has been wearing underwear now for 3 weeks and has been doing very well with minimal accidents. We even have been out of the house for whole days and he has done great, though we have had to find a few bushes around town to pee on. He loves his new unders, especially the "choo choo" ones, (Thomas the Train to be specific).
I thought that once he was potty trained that would be that and hadn't put any thought into what happens when you potty train a new two year old. He keeps me on my toes, to say the least. I was in JC Penney the other day having pictures taken of the boys when all of a sudden, "poopoo, poopoo!" . Would you believe that the portrait studios at JC Penney has NO BATHROOM!!!! Isn't their customer base MOSTLY SMALL CHILDREN???? So, I had to leave Lukas with the photographer, (yes, i know i left my 5 month old with a total stranger, but i was focusing on the possible incident about to happen and wasn't thinking), grab NIk and start running for the elevator telling Nik, "hold it, hold it, don't poop yet!". I even spied a garbage can and thought for more than a few seconds on using it but decided to keep going. We made it to the bathroom and wouldn't you know it, THE CHILD DIDN'T NEED TO GO. How can it be so urgent one second and not the next?
I never realized until now what mamas go through while training their little ones. Nik had just peed and normally dumps it into the toilet. Then, the unthinkable happened. He decided to taste it! It was like slow motion, I was saying "noooooo" and somehow managed to pull it back from his open mouth and into the toilet. Gross. Boys are disgusting. I can tell you, though, it is so nice to not be wiping a toddler bottom anymore. Well, at least not as much as before as i still have to help a little bit.
My current wondering is, "how do i convince him that it is okay to pee in our backyard, but it isn't neccessarily okay to do that just anywhere.".
Each day I become a little more confidant with going places and though he may have an accident somewhere inconvenient, I know it is just a phase of life we all must go through and it will be over soon. I hope. In the meantime, I just stuff my diaper bag with extra choo choo unders and call it good.




4 comments:

Jodi said...

Great job Nik!!! What a big boy!

melissa said...

You know, I think Nik's doing pretty well considering Noah, my 4 1/2 year old has only mastered the 'big boy' underwear thing in the last 2 or 3 months. Keep up the good work, mom. You're doing great :)

klyn said...

Oh yes, the elusive toilets! Why is it that places that SHOULD have toilets DO NOT!!! Argh!
Our problem was the long drives we did monthly during Z's toilet training - Seattle freeways are not know for easily accessible toilets.

Ginger said...

Aaaahhhhh, the joys of potty training!!! And why are the elevators in Macy's in the CHINA department? Hello, don't they know mothers with strollers and young children need to walk through the priceless glass and crystal???!!!! Hi BEC! I found you through Jodi's blog, your boys are too cute! I haven't seen you since your shower for nicolas and was wondering how you were doing with motherhood - you're AWESOME! Love the climbing pics - was that just up from the Sandy R? good times! love you girl!