Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Peckels

Yes, that is correct, peckels, though i am not sure of the spelling exactly.



This is the word that Nik kept saying as he pointed at my leg, and this is the conversation that followed:



Nik: Peckels.

Me: Pickle? You want a pickle?

Nik: No, peckels.

Me: Pickle? Why are you calling my leg a pickle??

Nik: PECKELS! PECKELS!!

Me: ................peckels, peckels.........FRECKLES!!! Yes, those are freckles on mama's leg.



Just one of many conversations I am bound to have with my son pertaining to my body's many imperfections, and unfortunately, children always seem to tell the truth when you don't want them to. Not that I mind my freckles, mind you, I really don't, I am a bit worried about the next observation that Nik will make though.



Speaking of freckles; did you know that they are a result of the curse? Yep, I'm cursed. After Adam and Eve sinned one of the many results was that their descendants bodies were no longer perfect and therefore began to break down resulting in mutations, disease and death. Hence freckles: an excessive build-up of melanin in one place, occurring many places on the skin.

See, won't I be great at homeschooling?! I can take any conversation and turn it into a learning experience. Even something as seemingly unexciting as "peckels".

5 comments:

Jodi said...

You WILL make a great homeschooling mom!!! But we already knew that. :)

Although I must say that I, for one, think freckles are awfully cute.

rebecca said...

Awwwww, thanks Jodi:) I love you!

Katinka said...

You have imperfections? Oh my! I never knew that. You are just so adorable. And that Nik! I can't wait until you have two making observations. :)

melissa said...

ooh, I HATE it when they start making those inconvenient observations, especially about other people within those other people's hearing.
At least he was asking about freckles and the conversation did not go like this:
kid- "Mommy, why is your skin all torn and ugly right there?"
mom- "because being pregnant makes mommy's tummies big and sometimes they get so big, it leaves marks."
kid- "It tears?"
mom- "yeah, kind of."
kid- "Mommy, that's terrible! I thought babies came out of our bottoms!"

rebecca said...

Melissa, oh that makes me laugh, I am sorry! How do kids come up with this stuff?!