Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Out for a Climb

Last Saturday, the 27th, was Tone' and my 11th wedding anniversary. We decided to go rock climbing to celebrate. I can't think of a better way to spend my anniversary than rock climbing, but i'm sure most people aren't with me on this one. That's okay, more rocks for me:) Nikolas donned his helmet and harness and up he went with no fear whatsoever. He made it even higher than he did last time we went, "way to climb, Bubbers!!". While he was climbing his hands kept getting dirty, (imagine that) and he kept saying, "dirty, icky" and wiping them on his pants before he could go any further. (whose kid is this?) He also kept repeating, " climbing, high. climbing, high". He was very cute and my friend, Tymun, got it all on video so i am hoping to wrangle that out of him (hint, hint).
My niece, Morgan, also came with us as a climbing day was our birthday gift to her. It was her first time climbing on real rock and she did great:)
She seemed so calm the whole time and only let on that she might be a little nervous , maybe, when i would ask how she was doing and if she was, in fact, scared.
And this is how Lukas spent some of his time while we climbed.
People always ask me how i climb with the children. Usually it is something like, "do you strap them to your back and then go up?" Okay, my answer to that is, "NO!" Oh my, really. REALLY? I might as well put my kid on my lap while driving sitting in front of the air bag.
That would be bad. So, no, the kids stay on the ground and those who climb do so one at a time and there are always other people to stay on the ground and belay and hold babies.
Moving on.

Here is one happy mama! I am belaying here with Luke on my back, I am NOT climbing.

Just thought i'd point that out.

Tone' and I both were able to climb as well and I am pretty sure I had more fun than Tone', but it was really sweet of him to pretend like he had fun. After we climbed we dropped Morgan and the boys off at Uncle John's and Aunt Karen's and Tone' and I had a date! What?! Yep, a date. We don't do those very often, but eleventh anniversaries don't come around very often. We had some cash from selling something of Tone's dads (he told us to keep the money, really he did) and so we went out to eat! Okay, normally people don't get excited about going out to eat, but we have been on a very strict food budget for a while now and I haven't gone out to eat in a very long time. We went to Olive Garden and I ordered all my favorites, mmmmm mmmmm. Seafood Alfredo, salad, breadsticks with alfredo dipping sauce and a raspberry Italian soda. Oh how i miss it already. I haven't been that giddy in a long time. Just ask Tone'. We then were going to go to Baskin and Robbins, (there is always room for ice cream) but we were getting too close to Luke's bedtime so we decided to call it a night.

It was a wonderful day and a great anniversary. Maybe not as great as our anniversary last year in Hawaii, but great nonetheless.


3 comments:

melissa said...

Olive Garden sounds like a great anniversary to me! We try to go out to eat every year on our anniversary, too. Sometimes it's nice to have a meal partner who does not require you to hand feed them...

klyn said...

What are people thinking!!! I really don't think they check in with their brains when they say weird things like that! I have had so many people ask what we do with the kids when we climb (yours, not mine, because mine are Sherpa age so don't draw comments like that).

It is so hard to not hit their foreheads for them and say duh!

Seriously - like anyone would ask a mom who has just worked out at the gym if she straps her child onto her back while she does aerobics! Sheesh!

Great job, Morgan and Nik!

Katinka said...

Of course she doesn't strap them to her back and climb, they get their own climbing gear and rope!
It's no fun to climb with Momma. Me do!