Saturday, January 9, 2010

I've Been Working On The Railroad

This day was one of those, "It's cold out and I don't want to get out of the house with the boys so I need an activity for them to do" type of days. Luckily, I just happened to have a gingerbread train kit! (BTW, these are clearanced at Fred Meyer right now for $5.99)

As you can see, Nikolas took this quite seriously. He is, after all, our Junior Conductor. Now Lukas......he mostly wanted to hold all the little candies in his chubby little fist until they were slimy and he had red, blue and green smeared everywhere. He also liked smooshing the gum drops as far into the frosting as he could get it to go, which meant that it kept falling over. Nearly two year olds, they are just so "in between". Not quite old enough for any activity, yet needing something to occupy those growing little brains of theirs.


All done!
Isn't she beautiful? Okay, I would like to say that the boys did this entirely on their own, because, well, look at it.... not the prettiest decorating on the block. Unfortunately, I have to admit that the sloppy frosting job was my doing. Let's face it. I'm not Martha Stewart. Actually, I don't even come close to my friend Kate, who might as well be Martha.

Here is what it could have looked like:

It was fun in spite of the appearance and fulfilled its purpose of keeping me from going insane on a winter day. I'm slightly tempted to go to Freddies and get some of the clearanced ones, just in case. One never knows when a mommy break is suddenly absolutely neccessary and one of these would really come in handy. We'll for sure be doing this again next year!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

They both look pretty serious about it. And wow, what a coincidence some nice friend gave me a train die cut for Christmas. They must know of my great love for all things train. ??? Or they were already planning this activity? Course trains are a pretty common occurance around the Gibson house.

rebecca said...

I have no idea what your talking about
:) Teehee