Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My First Garden

My first attempt at gardening went better than expected. I am still collecting bounty as you can see. The last of the zucchini, carrots and lots of cherrie tomatoes were recently harvested. I also had some spinach and lettuce. It was so very cool to be able to plan dinner and already have some of the ingredients on hand. I just had to walk outside.
Lessons Learned:
1) bell pepper plants should not be planted between the shed and tomatoe plants as they will get little to no light. Rookie gardener, I know. When i planted them all the tomatoe starts were 6 inches high. I didn't think about them getting 4 feet high! Oops.
2) watering tomatoes from the top down will cause them to mold, or something, i am not really sure what the disgusting ring around them was. bummer.
3) zucchini's will stop producing if overwatered. Apparently they don't like to be watered every single day. And I thought i was being so diligent, but as it turns out i was just wasting water. 'nother bummer.


We do have pumpkins for Fall though! Three bright orange pumpkins and one green one that i am hoping will turn orange soon. I am most excited about these! Who knew that $1.79 in seeds would give you a bunch of pumpkins?! Of course, i still have to go to the pumpkin patch for pictures. Naturally.
Nik helped me harvest throughout the summer. He liked to sample everything, especially the cherrie tomatoes. He called them grapes, then he would bite into one and quickly say, "icky grape". Good boy, Nik, you have inherited my tastebuds. I only planted those vile fruits for Tone's sake. I know, i'm such a good wife. Ahem.


And these are our raspberries which FINALLY decided to produce raspberries last week! Stinking berries. They better figure their seasons out next summer as raspberries are my all time favorite fruit in the world.

So that is the end of my gardening for the year, well, almost. I am still waiting for the pumpkins to get a bit bigger and for my canteloupes. Yes, canteloupes. I planted them and they grew big vines with flowers but nothing else. Do canteloupes grow in Oregon? If not, then why do they sell the seeds here? I'm confused. Not surprisingly.

3 comments:

klyn said...

Raspberries in the fall - hmmm, I actually see that as a bonus crop since you can stretch out that fruit's season! Don't mess with it's confusion!

Love the "icky grapes" - I am so with him! I have some on my counter right now because I do occasionally think of my husband when I grocery shop!

If I am ever home again during the summer, I want to start a garden - I think my kids have been missing out of a key childhood experiewnce by not having to weed the garden in exchange for a bed, clothing, and food.

Jodi said...

Delaney calls them grapes also! And she always says she wants one, and then when I give her one she squeezes it until all the guts squirt out, then throws the rest of it on the ground. Every time.

Good job with your gardening! I already can't wait for next spring so I can apply all my lessons learned. :)

Katinka said...

Good job! I am proud of you. Next year will be even better as this year was a hard gardening year anyway.

I still have to stop and ask myself where the old Rebecca went. You are so domestic! :)