Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Boy to the Core

Nik, Lukas and I joined a few good friends and their children on an outing to the Woodburn Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm. The tulip fields were absolutely stunning, though they did little to impress a two year old boy. His greatest delight that day was running from mud puddle to mud puddle.
At one point I tried to head over to the steam engines knowing he loves big trucks and tractors. On the way, I stopped to take a picture of the field only to turn around and see Nik wallowing in the ooiest, gooiest mud puddle. Puddle is not even the correct word as there wasn't any water, just mud. I didn't even take a picture of that one as I was busy scooping him out of the slimy mess while he was saying, "icky, icky"..... ya think!
To add to his boy traits as we were walking back he spotted, from about 15 feet away, this little bug. He started yelling, "Bee, Bee!" which all bugs are called and headed over to gaze at the little creature.
It wasn't exactly the "picture perfect" outing that I had envisioned, but my little explorer had a fine day enjoying the little things in life like mud and bugs. It is a good reminder that I don't need to spend money on the latest toys or gadgets or expensive vacations in order for my children to have fun. I just need to get outside, step back and let my little ones discover on their own the world that God created.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jodi said...

That's so true. I always find myself thinking that in order to plan a fun day for Jack I need to take him to the zoo or the children's museum or on some other expensive outing, when what Jack would honestly enjoy the most is if I spent the whole afternoon playing outside with him or building train tracks with him.

The special outings are still fun though, and I'm glad you guys had a fun day at the tulip fields. Your pictures are gorgeous!

Melinda said...

I love your pictures!!! so cute! I'm jealous.