Saturday, April 12, 2008

Irrational Fears

In my search for some reason to get out of the house, Nikolas and I went to a puppet show. (Luke came too, but I don't think he was into it as much). Things started out well with Nik laughing, clapping and dancing. Then a cow puppet came out and Nikolas FLIPPED OUT! He started screaming and crying then crawled into my lap yelling "kiki,kiki!" (that means blankie, by the way). Then Lukas started screaming so with the help of 2 ladies I made it out of the very cramped theatre where both of them calmed down. Unfortunately, the fear of the cow puppet didn't end there. When Nik woke up from his nap later he started whimpering "cow?cow?". For 2 days I have had to explain to him the cow did not follow us home.
Which brings me to my next point. I had been thinking Nik's fear of the cow puppet was so ridiculous as it is such an irrational fear. Then I remembered my own irrational fear:

Creatures that lurk in the deep.

Oooooo, sends shivers down my spine.

I'm sure you can all understand my fear of sharks while surfing. Maybe less understandable is my fear of sharks or "something" while I am wakeboarding. The irrational part of my fear is the unlikely event of a tentacled creature that lives under my shower and could someday come through the drain and GET ME!
Nik's cow puppet fear doesn't seem so irrational anymore, does it?

So, I am curious. Do any of you have any irrational fears or phobias?

Do tell:)

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Isn't it amusing/proud/sad/embarrassing to see your own good/bad traits in your children? We watched some skateboarders at the park today and Noelle said, "I don't want to do that because I might get hurt." Sounds like what I say in regards to all athletic endeavors including childbirth.:) I hope they will listen to us when we try to explain to them why they should not think/behave this way because we know from experience. But I have a feeling the won't. Sigh.....

klyn said...

Which one...the fact that I will not shave my legs if there is not someone else in the house to save me in case I start to bleed to death...
or, the fear that there is someone behind the shower curtain...
or, that there is a rat in the toilet and so the light must be turned on during that 3AM trip...
Apparently, if I could just survive without using the bathroom, I would have no fears!!!

rebecca said...

Melinda, I about peed my pants, (which doesn't take much nowadays) when I read your comment about "all athletic endeavors including childbirth". Too funny:)

Kellie, I forgot about that one! Rats in my toilet waiting to chew on my rear end is definitely one of my fears!

Katinka said...

My sister used to sleep with the covers over her ears so the witches wouldn't grab them.

Alas just last night I thought I heard a noise and I went out to look.(I can't have the covers over my head because I can't hear the flies walk across the garage floor.) I carry the phone with me with my finger on the button ready to call 911. I used to just lay in bed listening, but now I am out to meet them head on.

Right now I am fearful all these ants will carry me away.

I'll have to think about my other irrational fears.