Sunday, October 12, 2008

Presented to the Lord



Today was a special day for us and for our little Lukas as we dedicated him to our Saviour, Jesus Christ. It isn't a big ceremony or neccesary for his salvation or anything like that. It is simply a public commitment we make in front of our church body stating that we will train him to follow Jesus as best as we can.

So Tone' and I took Nikolas and Lukas to the front of the sanctuary, along with some of our good friends and their babies, and our pastor spoke. Unfortunately, I have no idea what he said, as Tone' and I were late. I know, we are such dorks. We walked into church a good 15 minutes late and everyone was already up front and one family had already dedicated their baby.

Each family is given the opportunity to say something and most people don't say anything, but for some reason I always feel compelled to say something. Always being twice now, once for Nik and once for Luke.

So what I said was something like this:

Isaiah 41:13 says, "For I am the Lord your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Having children has helped me to understand God's word so much better, I have read this passage many times before, but it was just recently that I came across this passage again and it suddenly struck me as to what God is trying to tell me. It is like when Nikolas and I are crossing the street and I reach for Nik's had. Usually he doesn't want me to hold his hand as he thinks he is big enough to do it himself. I then tell him, "Nik, you need to hold Mama's hand or you are liable to get squooshed." God is like a parent, who reaches for our hand to lead us as we travel through this dangerous world. He wants to help us because He loves us so much, just as we love our children, but like our children we have to choose to reach up for His hand and follow Him.

As we are raising Nikolas and Lukas we will be doing our best to teach them to reach for God's hand and follow Him, and by following Him they will learn to love God and to love people, the two greatest commandments. Matthew 22:37-39

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Awww...I wish I had been there. :(

I wasn't there in body, but my heart longs to support you and Tone' as you raise up this sweet little Lukas. I love your boys so much. :)

klyn said...

One of the frustrating parts of moving so much when the kids were young is that they probably will never see the people who were in the congregation of the church in NC where they were dedicated.

Most likely, your boys will grow up under the eyes of these men and women who have agreed to assist you in raising the boys in the Lord. Very cool. You should ask Dad (Hey, Dad, are you reading this?) if you were dedicated at Damascus or Powelhurst.

I love the word picture of Nik as us having to offer our hand to our Father who only wants what is best for us and desires to take our hand and walk us through this life's sorrows as well as its joys.

Snort, you were late to your own kid's dedication! :)

Katinka said...

I wasn't there, didn't even know it was happening. :) But I am all over it in supporting you and Tone' as you raise these boys. Besides, I get all kinds of kisses, hugs and smiles from them, and being highly entertained by their antics.

klyn said...

Dad said all three of us kids were dedicated at DCC! Very cool!

Emily said...

Hey! I'm so glad to hear we weren't the only ones running late to church that morning (as with every Sunday). It was cool to read what you shared. I had to rush off to be in the nursery so I missed it, but enjoyed hanging out with Lukas afterward. He is one sweet boy.