Friday, October 31, 2008

Carpet Ripping Party!

Here is a rather embarrassing look into my bedroom with the hideous blue-green carpet, unkept bed, piles of stuff, bare walls and ugly window blinds. It has been my desire to rip this ugly carpet out so we aren't breathing all the ground in dirt and who knows what else. So when my good friend Shelly called and said she had a week off and wanted to be my slave for a day i knew exactly what i wanted us to work on. When the day came I called another good friend, Sheri, who had been wanting to rip my carpet out as well, (it really is ugly) and she came over on the spur of the moment.

Here is Shelly and I ripping out staples and nails. Notice our bare feet, yeah, i don't know what we were thinking. Luckily we both have had recent tetanus shots as they probably came in handy. This was all done while Tone' was at work and the funny thing was that he had no idea this was happening until he came home and saw the rolled up carpet in the front yard. (As if our purple house didn't look bad enough) Sorry neighbors!


I didn't get a picture of Sheri working, though she worked like a horse. I did get an adorable picture of her cuddling with a very tired Lukas late the next night.



Nikolas helped us put all the furniture back in. He really wanted to help pull out staples, but mama was able to restrain him. Barely.





Here is our beautiful hardwood floors!!! Why would anyone put carpet on this? Well, actually i understand the temptation as it is really cold in the morning.
We have never put any money into our bedroom, as you can tell. Tone' made two of the dressers, the white one was mine growing up, the bed was Tone's dad's and the quilt was made by my grandmother. We don't have matching sheets and pillowcases, no rugs, no pictures on the walls, no pretty curtains, I don't even have a place for my necklaces and such. I guess we have never thought a place where no one else usually sees and where we usually have our eyes closed in is worth putting money into. I think it is time, though. I am finally ready to have a pretty and comfortable bedroom. Now to find the money to do something about it. If anyone has any great decorating ideas that don't cost much, (Kate?) let me know and if anyone runs across great deals on bedding, let me know that as well.
Huge thanks to Shelly and Sheri for your willingness to work hard and for helping me with a project I couldn't have done alone, but would have hurt myself trying to.




4 comments:

kate said...

I'll be thinking :)

Katinka said...

A bedroom should be a place of beauty and serenity. You are on your way....

Jodi said...

Rebecca, your room is so CLEAN!!!!!

You could have Nik finger paint and frame them in cheap Ikea frames. Do you have any quilted wall hangings you could pin on the wall?

I love the quilt. And the pretty floors. :)

klyn said...

Ahh, the curse of the quilts. I totally understand!! One day, my bed will wear very cute and matching clothing that actually covers the sides of the bed, not just the top - I'm still trying to justify that purchase though - it may be another 17 years before I can! Until then, I layer 3 quilts and flannel sheets on the bed in order for it to be warm enough at night!

The hardwood floors look good!! We are kinda waiting for you to be done producing young children before we rip up our LR carpet - but the DR hardwoods should be revealed within the year!