Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Day At The Crags

It has been three years and seven months since I have been climbing on a regular basis and since then I have only climbed a handful of times. That is, one handful. So two week ago Tone' came home for the weekend with the idea that he would stay with the boys and I would get all my errands done that I am never able to get done. I was really looking forward to it, but then I talked to one of my climbing friends who mentioned that they were going out to a new to us climbing area in the Gorge and I was welcome to come. At first I thought, "No, I need to get things done while Tone' is here." Then, about 1.5 seconds later I realized that I could manage to go to the grocery stores with my boys later in the week, while I couldn't just go climbing any other time.
So off to the crags I went!

Rocks, rocks, beautiful rocks!

I climbed three easy routes in the most gorgeous weather we had had this year with an amazing view of the Columbia River Gorge surrounding me. It was so incredibly relaxing to be able to climb without worrying or thinking about another little person or two. I do so love my boys, but being a single parent as I have been the last two months has started to make me a little crazy. The experience has certainly given me greater sympathy for true single parents, especially since they have to work on top of it all.


This was a super fun route. It was 5.9, I believe, though it felt alot easier, and since I have barely any muscle anymore that means that climbing is very mental and technical. It's kindof like "riding a bike"; your body just doesn't forget. Though you won't see me on any 5.12's anytime soon.


Made it!!! and the person on top of the route happens to be Tim Olson, the guy who authored the "Portland Rock Climbs" book. He scrambled up the back way to get some pictures of me climbing. How nice:) Its always fun to meet a "famous person" in the climbing world. After coming home I pulled the book out and noticed that one of my close climbing friends, Dave Sowerby, has his picture in that book as well. Hey Dave!
Even though I was taking a break from my own children, I still was more than happy to hold my friends baby. Never too young to start climbing:)

Two days later I heard about the two people who died on Sunday while climbing in the Gorge as well, not too far from where I was on Saturday. No one really knows what happened except that they were both at the top of the route and suddenly they both fell. Tragedies like this are so rare in rock climbing that it is extremely shocking and terribly sad. I was asked by a number of people if I should be climbing since I have children and if I do climb am I totally safe. In response I will say: Yes, I am very conscious about safety and we all check our knots and anchors twice before putting weight on them, however accidents can happen but I refuse to live my life in fear of the "what if's". As far as whether I should be climbing still, all I have to say is: People still drive cars after they have children and we all know how safe that is. I suppose one could argue that people need to drive cars but we don't need to climb. Technically, that is somewhat true. Realistically, it isn't true for me and all the other climbers out there. I don't think I can explain the passion for climbing that most climbers have. If someone asks you to define yourself what words do you use? I would use: follower of Jesus Christ, wife, mama and climber. In that order. Maybe that gives you a little glimpse at how important climbing is in my life. Even though I don't get to climb much lately, I often am thinking of it and looking forward to the day I say to my boys, "Grab your gear, we're going climbing!"
Hopefully, I will be the majority of climbers who don't ever have any major accidents, but if that were to happen to me, don't be sad for me as my salvation is secure in Jesus Christ.
But someone needs to take care of my husband as I think the house would cave in should anything ever happen to me....

2 comments:

klyn said...

Gasp, you mean sister isn't even on the list!!
Fine shirt; cute baby; nice rock; May 16th, we are there!!!
Flying (seen the crashes??), walking down the street (know of two major accidents in the past week), eating food (choking hazards/ ecoli), and even going to school, work, or church isn't a safe activity anymore in light of all the shootings that have taken place. We don't know the length of our days (so glad God doesn't give me that knowledge)and hiding will not stop physical death (and I've already made my reservation for that anyway!). So, yeah, climb on, sis. God's given you that desire and is pleased when you use your abilities!
The boys yes, but Tone'?? Hmm, that one takes a bit more mulling over.

rebecca said...

Sister,
I really did want to add sister to the list, but it would have been too long for my point to really stick:) And thank you for encouraging me to climb on, I am so looking forward to our time there.