Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It's Late, I Know, But.....

when else am I going have any time to myself?

It's no surprise that I am a night owl. Most of my posts are done between midnight and 3AM, though if it is after 2AM I usually change the posting time so you all don't think I am crazy for being up so late. Sneaky of me, I know.
I imagine their are questions running through your head right now such as:
"Why are you not asleep?"
"How do you function on so little sleep?"
"Why don't you just blog during the day?"

Ah yes, all good questions and ones I often ask myself. Then I remember:
I'm not asleep because my boys ARE asleep. Which goes right along with why I don't blog during the day, because they are AWAKE. Once in a blue moon I get them to take a nap at the same time, and once in an even bluer moon they take a long nap at the same time. Typically, however, I have one child awake at all times from 7am until 9pm, and then a few times during the middle of the night. (Nik woke up at 1:30am this morning because he had to go to the bathroom). Me sitting at the computer just doesn't work well with my boys. Lukas insists on sitting on my lap if I am sitting down, and if he doesn't get to then he just stands next to me crying and pulling on my elbow. I simply can't think, let alone point the cursor correctly, with him next to me. Nik isn't too distracting for a little while, but soon tires of cartoons and wants to actually interact with me. Plus, being inside when it is nice outside doesn't sit well with me.

How I function on so little sleep is still a mystery to me. Though I must say that after I stopped drinking caffeine regularly 4 years ago and started drinking water, I have so much more energy than I have since college. There just may be a correlation there.

Simply put, this is the only time I have to focus 100% of my attention on something other than my boys, who receive nearly 100% of my attention when they are awake. Blogging, catching up on emails, putting my coupon scenarios together and reading are just a few of the things I need time by myself to do and with Tone' gone for the last 5 1/2 months there have been very little opportunities to do any of these other than late at night.

So here I am, it is 4AM now and soon I will see the dark of night beginning to fade, as I have seen many times before, and I will head to bed for an hour or two until Lukas wakes up and starts screaming for me. Then I will try to get him to go back to sleep for a couple hours and it may or may not work. Sigh.
Tomorrow night I will sleep.
At least, that is what I tell myself most nights.
Tomorrow, I will go to bed early tomorrow.

I know I am not always alone, though, I know of two of you who stay up as late or nearly as late.
My sister, Kellie, and I will often email the other and then receive an email back even when it is 1:30 in the morning.
Then there is my friend, Sam, who is working nonstop these days and is often up until the wee hours of the morning as well.

I think I probably beat you both tonight, though.

Hmmm, so now I should go to bed, but now I'm hungry.......

3 comments:

ISpy said...

Been there, done that, know exactly what you mean. Slowly over the years though, being a mom has transformmed me into being a morning person.

Why is it that just when the kids get old enough to actually "WANT" to sleep in, they begin school and you have to wake them up and it's a struggle to get them going in the morning?

When it's summer and they don't have to be up first thing, my eye's pop open at first light and try as I might, there is no going back to sleep, sigh....

klyn said...

Well, yes, you did stay up later than I did last night. I was actually in bed before midnight. I think I still have jet lag.

My husband does say goodnight to me with the words, "see you around 3AM."

And I don't have the kid excuse unless waiting for Zach to get finished with his game counts - I just don't think of things that need to get done until about 8 o'clock at night. My brain wakes up then, I think.

And changing the time!!! Ack! That is so wrong! The fun ofthe whole time is seeing when people post!

Sheri said...

I am a night person, but that means 11-12 PM anymore. You can pretty much bet that while you are burning the midnight oil and I am snoozing unless I have insomnia.

I don't know how you go with such little sleep. Yawn! Makes me tired just thinking of it.