Saturday, August 8, 2009

Look Mama, TRAINS!!!




Nikolas is currently into all things trains and is also pretty awe struck by all types of large machinery, so when I heard about the "Great Oregon Steam-Up" going on in Brooks, Oregon the first weekend in August I knew we had to go. Tone' would be coming down to join us but I also thought it would be fun to go with Grandpa and Grandma Graham as my dad has an interest in these same things. How funny that they are nearly 70 years apart and yet can share a common interest!
Nik had a great time checking out all the old trains and especially the ones he was allowed to climb inside and pull handles and knobs. These old train tractors were actually running and this old timer kept putting logs into the trains belly to keep it running. Nik especially liked pulling the cord and making it whistle! Who needs Disneyland?! (Well, okay, me....., but that's besides the point.)



Lukas wasn't so sure about all the noise, but he definitely liked climbing around the trains and tractors and pulling all the handles as well.



Both of the boys were trying their hardest to figure out how to make these things MOVE!


Then we bought tickets to ride a real live trolley train. It took us on a 20 minute ride around the park grounds which was the perfect length of time. Nikolas was pretty excited to have ridden a real "train".
Before we boarded the train we walked by a booth selling conductor hats. Nikolas has been without a hat this summer so I figured this would be a perfect time to buy him one and he agreed. Not surprisingly, Grandma intervened and treated him to his very first conductor's hat. Later on during the day he started putting it on sideways and calling it his Junior hat. I was a little confused until I remembered that on one of his Thomas the Train videos the Conductor has a nephew whose name is Junior and he wears his hat sideways.
Oh my, suddenly I realized how easily a child is influenced. That was an eye opener!


See you later! Toot Toot!!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I will be very sad when his obsession with trains ends. I always think of trains = Nik. What will Lukas be fascinated with?

Emily said...

This was the 2nd year in a row we intended to go and didn't. I'm not sure that boys ever grow out of their fascination with moving things and what makes them move. Ed hasn't at least. Next year I'm going to send him with you guys.