Saturday, November 29, 2008

Why, Mama?

Why?

That is a question I haven't been expecting to hear quite yet from my child, but it has started becoming common. The first time Nikolas asked me, "Why Mama?", I was a little shocked and unsure of what to say. I think the question was referring to my command of, "Don't climb the bookcase!" To which Nik said, "Why Mama?". My reply: "Um, because it will fall on top of you and squish you like a bug, remember daddy's dresser?"
I thought the question was just a fluke. Two year old boys aren't actually interested in why they shouldn't do something, are they? Surprisingly I have continued to hear the question over and over and over again.

Yesterdays whys were to these statements:
"Don't touch the stove buttons" Why mama?
"Stop dragging your brother" Why mama?
"Stay out of the street " Why mama?

Todays whys :

"let's put your underwear on" Why mama?
"Baby is crying" Why mama?
"time to get into the car" Why mama?

Really? Am I really going to have to start explaining every detail of our lives to him? Maybe he is just wanting me to talk to him more......I don't know, but now I actually need to think about why I do things and why I tell him to do things, 'cause he is going to ask.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Ahhhh....Welcome to a whole new world of mind numbing....

Melinda said...

Oh boy do I second Jodi's comment. I wish i could remember some of Noelle's questions but sometimes she will ask why to something and i don't even know where to start explaining it to her. I give up and just say "Because".

Katinka said...

Moohaahaa! I've been waiting for this day to arrive! My answer will be...go ask your mother!