Sunday, March 29, 2009

Can It Be? Nik is Three!

I am suddenly realizing that the old sayings are quite true:
"They grow up before you know it."
&
"It happens over night."
Here is my growing little man who suddenly turned three years old.
Nikolas is all about trains at this stage of his life, so our family came over and we had a train party. I had been wanting to make a train cake for Nik but was thinking that it would be alot of work and I wasn't quite sure how to do it. After checking out a few websites I decided it didn't seem too difficult and started the process. It was alot of fun and when Nik saw it in the morning he gasped and said, "TRAIN! My train?!" Yep, it's your train Nik:) His excitement for it made staying up until 2am the night before and then waking up with the WORST EVER upper back pain from bending over and making frosting squishes all over, worth it! I also enjoyed an evening out with my friend, Jodi, and painted this plate at Ceramicafe. It turned out better than I was expecting as I am NOT a talented drawer but for some reason I can make a pretty decent train. Nikolas, of course, loved it and was excited to eat his train cake on his train plate with his train fork while drinking milk in his train cup!
I have an idea of what this three year old might be wishing for. More trains!
Everyone gave him wonderful gifts and he was excited with each one. We kept having to remind him that he had more presents to open. Uncle John and cousin Morgan are looking on as Nik opens his gift from Morgan: 3D Sidewalk chalk! Now if only the sun would stay out long enough for us to use it.

Then we continued a tradition that my sister started us on by imprinting my boys handprints on each birthday. Here is number three!


Nikolas has grown in so many ways this past year. He almost seems like an entirely different person. One year ago he was still only saying 2-3 word phrases, was in the midst of potty training, cried bloody murder everytime I left him with anyone else but ME, and needed help with almost everything. Now, he talks nonstop, has been fully potty trained for the last 10 months, willingly walks into his 2's & 3's Sunday School class and doesn't need my help for hardly anything! Truly, he has started to become my little helper and I am really enjoying it and looking forward to his help even more as he grows.



5 comments:

klyn said...

I love your cake! What food is in the first car though?? I can't make it out.

The plate is adorable - great job!

So, the hand tin people makes them just barely big enough, don't they!! I love how you are going to have a record of their growth - I have a bunch of loose hand prints/ cut-outs/molds, but they are not all dated/ named!

kate said...

great job!!!! I can't believe you spent until 2 a.m. making that. Go mama!

Jodi said...

I love that boy! I'm so bummed we couldn't celebrate with him this weekend. :( Your plate turned out GREAT! I love it, and the train cake is awesome. He's a lucky little three-year-old.

Happy birthday Nik!!!

melissa said...

what a cutie. Happy Birthday to him ;)

Katinka said...

It is all so cute! He looks so very happy!